Monday, August 4, 2008

Day Fourteen - Home

The final day of travel was quite smooth. As our plane pushed out of Seattle I was able to see Mounts Ranier and Hood resting on layers of cloud. From my seat, Rainer appeared almost touchable. The rest of the flight was spent catching up on politics and pop culture via the latest issue of Rolling Stone. I did wonder to myself what would happen if someone came to our planet with no reference for culture other than Rolling Stone. They would have quite the skewed outlook indeed.

We landed in Kansas City in the early evening and were back at Lloyd's an hour later. Completely worn out, yet famished, we sought out the only place the Northwest had been lacking: Buffalo Wild Wings. One final dinner together was followed by an evening of transferring photos and Seinfeld.

Early the next morning, I left Kansas City for home. I had much to think over having been gone for two weeks. Be sure many of these thoughts will continue to pop up on this blog in spite of the trip being officially over.

One of my favorite movies ever is Jaws. Not so much the parts of a giant fish eating tourists but the character development. Of all the great scenes this film has to offer, one that sticks out is an exchange between the characters played by Richard Dreyfuss and Roy Scheider as they swim back home, having sent the Great White to his doom by way of a conveniently placed oxygen tank. Sheider, the Chief of Police on Amity Island mentions to Dreyfuss, "I used to hate the water." In a half laugh of irony, his partner responds, "I can't imagine why."

Two weeks previous, as I was west bound on I-70, I recall thinking how much I hated driving through Missouri. Now that I was coming home, there was a sweetness to the drive.

From home,
Harvey.

No comments: